This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Part of the furniture

I've done almost a month in this particular asylum ...

Yesterday, for example was my cash office/supervisor day; I spend the afternoon counting cash in and the evening supervising the junior staff. Well that's the theory at any rate.

Manager3 was the 'Manager's Assistant' on duty when I arrived and at 2pm or shortly thereafter Manager1 came on. The latter was, was by her own admission, very hungover as was The Checkout Supervisor who is the afternoon supervisor while I'm doing the banking.

Fine. The Office Manager left things in pretty good shape, and since we were fully staffed for the Christmas run-up I was free actually to do my job when I took over from her at 2pm. During the afternoon Manager1 plied me with tea in sync with plying herself with tea in a forlorn effort to drink away the hangover symptoms. The Office party had taken place the previous evening, hence the sore heads.

Some of the young talent were on show. X is tall, has gorgeous skin, come-hither eyes and beautifully thick, dark hair I'd love to run my fingers through. The big bonus though is his voice, though I must learn to control myself when he drawls maaarvelous over the intercom. I'm a sucker for a rich, deep voice. Working here has made me realise that men's arses really don't do it for me ... I've given up looking out for the rear end that has Manager3 in thrall, through boredom.

College has obviously finished for the year because X and a number of others were on show from immediately after lunch. X is only the pick of the bunch in so much as he has that particular combination of qualities almost guaranteed to float my boat.

Except that he doesn't make me laugh ... that's Y's particular strength; he isn't as conventionally good looking as X but makes up for that with buckets of charm and nearly total lack of inhibition.

In the absence of Marian I was able to pick up the threads confidently and if I hadn't lost or miscounted the occasional coupon here and voucher there or Ten pound note somewhere else I might have got the whole job finished with a couple of hours to spend on the shop floor.

Oh, and there was also the small matter of Angela's domestic travails.

She has a couple of daughters and one of them seems to be a complete basket case. She's almost 21 years old, slid through school without achieving anything credible and has since not held a job. With the assistance of el Supremo, with whom she has allegedly been conducting an affair that has now lasted several years, Manager1 has secured the ratbag daughter a job in a restaurant where el Supremo's lovely son is Assistant Manager.

The difficulty is that the restaurant is in London and the young lady can't cope with being away from home or having to commute in to London or alternatively share student-type digs or do her own washing or in anyway be self-reliant and so, after 1 whole day in her job, she's run home to mummy.

The afternoon saw me sitting at my desk, trying to account for every last penny of the almost twenty thousand pounds worth of cash, coupons and vouchers coming through our tills in Christmas week while the most senior person on the premises is engaged in a slanging match with one of her children.

Around 7pm el Supremo turned up in civvies to do some shopping, but to no-one's surprise he pretty promptly disappeared upstairs and shortly afterwards we saw the last for the time being of Manager1. With the two of them closeted upstairs there was no one left on the shop floor to keep things moving, with two days to go before the very top level management descend on us for a very detailed inspection of absolutely everything.

I have some sympathy for romeo and juliet, according to town talk the respective spouse of each is violent and who among us has the private life that provides a sound platform from which to launch a sustainable criticism.

The fact though is that she came in ill and ineffective, and the pair of them subsequently allowed their separate and collective private lives to get in the way of the running of the store.

If this were a singular occurrence it would ill behove me to criticise lest I find myself in similar circumstances. Sadly this sort of thing happens all too often, which is why we are likely to receive a less than glowing report from headquarters in the wake of their visit later this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home