This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

What we did, part II

Christmas gifts included a good deal of Bratz stuff for B, which she loved as well as lots of craft stuff. She also was given a jigsaw, a CD player, a microscope, some clothes, lots of chocolate, a teddy bear, some 'smellies', some jewellery and so on and so forth. She didn't miss out.

She also enjoyed the Mah Jongg although this year, for the first time, she didn't win a hand.

Before that we ate. She managed to get three sprouts inside her, well done that girl and a whole lot of stuffing which she has suddenly become rather passionate about. I 'only' drank one bottle of wine and then one small bottle of beer but consumed over the course of the day and with much food to absorb it I think that not too excessive. I certainly didn't feel like I'd really over indulged when I woke up the next day.

B thought David Tennant as the new Doctor was rather OK and so did I. The best of them are fabulous in their own way. I grew up on Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker and those two apart only Christopher Eccleston has made the grade in my opinion until now. If I can get past Tennant as Casanova he might, just might make it too.

We spent boxing day with the same couple we'd been to midnight Eucharist with on Christmas Eve. We drove over to watch the annual Mud Race where something like 200 insane individuals strip down or dress up and then clamber down the muddy bank of the river, wade across what's left of it at low tide, clamber back up on the other muddy side, slither around and arc the make their way back across to the finish line.

We bumped into a couple of other families from town, got very, very cold, ate hot chips cooked in loads of saturated fats then drove back to eat and drink at their house. The children, our one and their one, stayed upstairs watching videos while downstairs we worked our way through three CDs of 'Name that tune' where you are given 10secs or thereabouts of song intro and have to name title and artist.

We clung to the sixties and seventies and didn't do too badly. I managed to extract us shortly before midnight, quite knackered and quickly to bed.

The Fat Bastard has gone to work this morning so it is just the two of us. We had loads of snow in the early hours of this morning and a further fall a little while ago. In between we've had clear blue skies and a winter sun powerful enough to turn the white stuff into grey sludge.

I'm finally back at the keyboard, looking forward rather than backward - this was the worst Christmas of my life, but if I dwelt on that for any period of time I'd make myself miserable and I can't afford to do that if I'm going to drag myself out of this domestic nightmare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home