This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Back history, Part I

Before I get to the gist of this may I say hello to today's crop of visitors from Pennsylvania, including the caller from Easton, PA who dropped by recently and spent enough time to check out today's additions.

-------------

Right. Mentioning the paving slabs in the earlier posting today made me appreciate (via a Long and Winding Road) that I have not provided much back history or any context for my loathing and contempt for the Fat Bastard.

That cannot make it easy to get a handle on the narrative and so, belatedly, I give you random factoids that will accumulate into a reasonably sound and comprehensive if one-sided and therefore inherently biased basis for reading these missives in a somewhat skewed but nonetheless valid context. He can write his own blog and so can she; and if I find them I'll point you to them so you have 'balance'.

Factoid One (with subsidiaries): I am forty one years old. I was born in Canada and brought up by my Australian parents in Australia

Factoid Two (again with subsidiaries): I am highly intelligent, but struggled to maintain the necessary focus to succeed academically. Somehow I managed to scrape together the points to get a university place, where I did economics and history. I also subsequently did a diploma in business administration. More recently I've got part way through a European Studies qualification of some sort or other via the Open University in the UK.

Factoid Three: facing redundancy in 1991 I decided to take advantage of UK visas for commonwealth citizens up to the age of 28 and gave it 'all' up in November for a couple of years of travel.

Factoid Four: in February of the following year I started work under a temp. contract as an economist with a UK government agency and shortly thereafter I met, while working there, the soon to be (hopefully, fingers crossed) ex-husband.

Factoid Five (with subsidiaries): he 'courted' (sorry, that's a ghastly term but I can't think of anything better at the moment) me, while we worked there under the nose of Wife Number One, also an employee and from whom he had not yet bothered to obtain a divorce.

Now I want to make clear right here and now that he told me at the outset he was Divorced as opposed to In The Process of Obtaining (or Being) Divorced. Would I have dated him if I'd known that he was not actually divorced? Probably, yes. The problem lay not in his not being divorced, but in his not being honest about his marital status; and thus was laid down the pattern for our relationship which endures to this day.

I should also make clear that I did date someone else while working there, someone I harbour no ill-feelings towards. It was never, ever going to work between the two of us but I liked him and never meant to hurt him and I did just about managed to not date the two of them at the same time. Not quite succeeding was the meanest thing I have ever done to anyone, I apologised at the time, still regret my behaviour. I don't think I did anything worse, and if I did I apologise for that too.

That's enough factoids for now.

Good-night Pennsylvania

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home