This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The fridge shelf saga

I mentioned in an earlier post that another of the shelves in the fridge has all but given way. Well last night, by way of conversation since he wasn't going to just go away I brought this to the fat bastard's attention. I did this without prejudice which is to say I didn't apportion blame or make accusations or resort to "I told you so." I just made the point that we need now to be more careful than ever about not overloading the poor thing.

His reaction was just beautiful in that it quite perfectly sums up the insane take he has on the world and all its parts.

Yes, why don't I spend a whole morning trying to find someone who can supply me with replacement shelves for the cheap and nasty and now relatively old fridge we've abused for years.

I'm sure I can't think of a single better way to spend my morning.

And what will we do if I can't find a supplier of replacement shelves?

I know what I'll be doing - I'll be listening to endless re-runs of "I don't believe it ... these people are hopeless ... they're pathetic ... how difficult could it be ... why can't they ... and blah, blah, blah.

What he can't envisage is the conversation whatever call-centre operative I speak to during the course of the morning would have with his or her partner when they get home at the end of the shift:

"Oh God I had this woman on the phone today. She bought some cheap fridge, years ago. I mean it isn't as if she's not had her money's worth and now she's acting all surprised when the shelves give way (eventually) and she actually expects us to still make replacement parts for her archaic fridge when it would be cheaper for us to simply supply her with a whole new fridge. Some people!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home