This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Thursday, October 05, 2006

But even better

In the end I only posted the bit about the Canadians for the record. They've already been overtaken in the race to be top of my 'call-centre menu driven psychosis-inducing' shit list by Carphone Warehouse who are suppliers to Me of mobile telephony services - but it has cost them! Hee hee.

I phoned to cancel my contract which rolled on for years and years due the wonder of nature that is inertia.

I finally got off my backside and rang their customer 'service' number which is 0870 111 7200 (in case the call to the Canadians hasn't done the job). I immediately entered a nightmare world of looping menus and unanswerable questions, abrupt cut offs and demands for highly sensitive personal information - over and over and over again.

Hideous Tesco really needs to get its act together if it is even going to retain a place in my Shit List Top Ten.

CPW wants your telephone number and then a pin number and then a bank account number and then, when you've given them all that and your cup size they still haven't got the menu item you need so you get put through to someone else and get to listen to Fucking Thunderclap Newman, alternating with some anodyne faux-jazz piece. There was something in the air alright and it was mostly very blue.

Round and round and round I went and never did I get anywhere near then end and then, suddenly it all seemed to magically disappear and I had a very helpful young lady on the other hand who put me through to Customer Loyalty who bribed me with a new phone and a check for £150.00 to stay with them for another year on a tariff that is less than half that I'm currently paying. Now you know what my scruples are worth and how very easily I can be bought.

Funnily enough a colleague had told me of doing something similar for her son - calling towards the end of a contract to end it and getting a new phone and some money back too. I might be on to a nice little earner provided I don't forget to call them at the end of the year.

The tariff is cheap because it is rather nasty but the phone I'll be taking delivery of tomorrow is unlocked so I can stick my alternative pay as you go card in it and use that rather than their 'won't cost you too much as long as you only text - or ring subscribers to the same network between 8pm and 10pm on the second Thursday in the month provided it happens after the Full Moon in that Month' plan [which also comes with some fine print which I shall go over when I get the phone.]

I switched back to the old network sim card and promptly put the wrong code in twice and rang them back (do I have a death wish?) for help. The twit I spoke to told me to put the number in a third time as she'd then give me the unlocking code. When that didn't work she got her supervisor involved who advised me that for £15.00 I could have a new SIM card.

Not unreasonably I huffed at this. I'd only blocked the card at her underling's direction and now they were to sting me for a replacement. The underling 'fessed to her gross error in not telling me before hand that I'd be incurring a charge so the Supervisor directed me to sales who would be able to credit my account for the £15 so that a card could be sent to me at no charge.

At this point let me stress that I'm inventing NONE OF THIS.

Sales initially tried to unblock the card again then went into a bit of a conflab, then came back with "you said you're getting a new phone tomorrow?" something I'd mentioned at the start of a sentence that ended with 'and I'd really like to able to use the thing'.

Them: What sort of phone is it? Is it an upgrade?

Me: Yes

Them: What model?

Me: Er (rapidly thinking do I know anything about it other than it qualifies me for £150 back and takes photos?)... it's a Motorola ... 'Thingummy'

Them: Do you mean Motorolo 'whatever'.

Me: Oh yes, that's it..

Them: Well it comes with a new SIM card.

Me: Right, so I'll be without a phone for 24 hours but then all will be ok?

Them: Yup. And it will be your old number. You could stick a thousand sim cards in it and it will be your old number.

Me: Fine. Thanks for your help. Bye

Phone down.

Me thinking: But my PAYG SIM card is a different number. Have I just been screwed? Update when my new Motorola Whatever (black, takes photos) arrives tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home