This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Friday, August 18, 2006

Today in the shop

[APOLOGIES BUT THIS POST IS VERY MUCH TANGENTIAL, BUT IT ALSO HAPPENS TO BE MY DAY, TODAY].

I got up in time to discover that Monty the Mouth had developed a limp but being male he didn't want any fuss made. He so didn't want any fuss made that he made his way out through the cat flap and disappeared while I was making breakfast.

Today's been that day of the week I spend working in the local charity shop. The charity is a local cancer charity, raising funds for research and also to provide help (including respite care) for families dealing with someone being treated for cancer.

I got involved in this kind of volunteer work about two years ago after I stopped working in the city. I was motivated by a number of factors, including curiosity. Plus I've a particular interest in books (as distinct from literature) although I do read a lot and I offered the manager of the shop when it was being run for another national charity some time per week to help with the books.

Shortly after I started helping her the landlord abruptly cancelled the lease. Not long after the doors were closed for the last time stories started to circulate about town that 'the woman who used to run the X shop' would be reopening the premises in the name of another charity. That's what happend. The manager before the one I'd worked for (who'd been retired/sacked or something depending on who you listen to) did indeed relaunch the premises in the name of a cancer charity that had been set not so many years ago by the consultant who'd treated her.

So far so very laudable.

I found the woman a bit odd but I'm old enough to know that people come in all shapes and sizes and I prefer not to rush to judgement. That said the flaws in her set up were pretty quickly quite obvious. Her genius is in the area of rousing everyone to get something started. Whether it's grounded in a very short attention span or something else is irrelevent: she has no follow through. She isn't one of life's Completer/Finishers. Which leaves all those people she's roused in the lurch. Furthermore, she'd reached back to all her contacts from her old days of managing the shop and I found myself the youngest person in the shop by about thirty years.

What had been meant to be a couple of hours a day at most became

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home