This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Farewell Monty

I called the vet this morning to confirm arrangements for collecting him, really expecting them to tell me that they'd stitched him up and he'd bounced back from his scare.

Instead I got a lengthy explanation of their investigation thus far, the further treatment required, care and prospects. Monty was hit by a car, in all probability, and the x-ray has showed up a blur around his diaphragm which suggests a small tear. That tear - if indeed it is a tear, could prove fatal if he isn't kept indoors and effectively caged while the tear heals itself.

While the cuts have been stitched up he needs fairly intensive care for the next couple of weeks, including a further trip to the vets that will cost at least another £100.00

To be really blunt that's £100.00 I cannot afford. Had he been my pet I would have insured him and wouldn't be facing these bills. After consultation with the other neighbours who've known him including Mark and Tony it has been agreed that the RSPCA step in to make arrangements for finding him a permanent home and preferably one away from main roads. Monty will never be a house-cat so he'll have to go somewhere safe and away from main roads such as the one at the top of our path.

The vet has been very sympathetic and promised to keep us informed of his progress. If we were to win the lottery tonight I'd say "we'll keep him" without hesitation even though at times he has aggravated me beyond belief. The vet's told me that the RSPCA will pass on details of his resettlement and I'm sure that they'll take care to make sure he goes to a good home. He's a good looking cat, fun, cute and in the prime of life. Once he's recovered he'll make someone a lovely pet.

In fact he's turned on the charm for the vet and the nurses who seem to have taken him to their hearts and I'm quietly hoping that one of them will make some private arrangement for his placement.

In the meantime this has all been too difficult for us. I knew after our own two cats died in such awful circumstances that we'd be better off not getting into such an emotional arrangement again. Also if I'm going home the last thing I want to be saddled with is a pet we either have to then leave behind or try to take with us. The Fat Bastard has no sense and encouraged Monty to adopt us; the upshot of that particular stupidity is that I now have a distressed eight year old who is struggling to understand that when I took Monty away on Friday that was the last time she'd see him.

I feel like shit about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home