This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Sunday, September 24, 2006

What would I do

If I were to be offered a half-decent paying job, but one that required more flexibility of me than I can currently offer.

Anyone who thinks it is easy to be a two wager earner family when your both earning a low salary is a complete jackass.

Right now I'm getting the faintest sniff of a better paid and more demanding job than the one I'm currently in. It might seem perverse to be seeking a promotion or groping towards some semblance of a career when what I really want is a couple of one-way tickets to Melbourne, but this just might make sense.

My former career is effectively dead in the water, way beyond resurrection. Successs was based on being there, in the mix and I've been out of it too long now to be credible in the job market. Sayonara Super Salary.

Somehow, though, I have to make a way of supporting the two of us once the Fat Bastard has finally buggered off, so that means making something new, and this might just be it. It's something I've some aptitude for. An opportunity might be opening up for me and I have to decide how to play this. It could mean more than doubling my present salary and putting myself onto a career path, but I'd have to sacrifice the Fat Bastard to do it.

I've no objections to doing that, needless to say, but I can well imagine if this opportunity were presented the objections he'd raise. Because we'd be back to me working and him doing the child bit. Specifically he'd have to do either the waking/taking or the collecting/feeding end of the school run. Which days he'd be doing what would be variable both within a week and from one week to the next and he'd have no chance to develop much in his own right. He'd be free to work within school hours but that would be it.

From his point of view not having to work (much) would be a bargain ... except that it would look suspiciously like me taking a step closer to independence. He's one of those cunning individuals who can feel an ill-wind a mile off...

This is going to take some finesse and delicate salespersonship. Ever heard of a 50 foot tall and bloodthirsty Greek Goddess with a side-line in finesse? Me neither!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home