This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Saturday, July 01, 2006

What's he up to?

With good reason I get nervous when I haven't a clue what he (The Fat Bastard) is up to. I'm feeling very nervous. His behaviour simply doesn't make sense.

On the one hand he's being moderately reliable: he actually offered to collect the offspring from school yesterday leaving me free to mooch around at the charity shop. We had few donations, cleared down the awful clothes and shoes, did a good deal of re-hanging, dusting and general rearranging but for reasons not immediately clear to me my heart wasn't in it and I doubt the shop looked much better afterwards.

Still he picked B up and helped me home with some books I wanted to look through. We then sat down to enjoy the Germany Argentina game: on balance the household were behind Germany and pleased with the result.

We're going to a barbeque this afternoon and will watch the England Portugal game with friends. I've spent the morning doing hair and legs and painting toe-nails. I bought a fabulous pair of sandals yesterday and can't wait to wear them. I guess I'll have to keep a lid on my preference for further opportunities to ogle Luis Figo. Whichever way this game goes I'll be supporting the winner as far as they then go.

In the meantime I have some food to prepare, particularly burgers which are my speciality. The Fat Bastard will pick up some other stuff and some drink on the way. Rather sweetly he's assuming that supermarkets across the country won't have been denuded of simply everything and anything worth having for A Warm Summer's Afternoon Barbeque While Watching England in the World Cup Finals by midday.

It won't be a late night because he's 'doing a job' with a mate tomorrow morning. He informed me about this last night which absolutely doesn't mean that he only heard about this job yesterday. He'll be picked up at 7:00 or thereabouts and get home around 10:00 or 10:30. Which is a bit of a bugger since I'm working from 9:00am and B isn't old enough to be left to her own devices. So I have to drag her across town to a baby sitter before I go to work. I think the baby sitter charges less than I take home per hour, but there won't be much in it either way.

He'll then take B over to his mother for the afternoon.

I guess he's got the money to get them over there. That's about £12 with the family rail card discount. Now the curious thing is that two afternoons ago (that's Thursday) he came home from work ashen faced and agitated and announced that he had no money in his account. Not penny. A Zero pence balance. We talked it over and decided that there must be some mistake. He has about £125 spending money a week and hasn't gone much over budget since last being paid so should have about £250 left.

Later in the afternoon he told me he'd been in touch with his bank and had been told that they were experiencing computer problems which probably explained the lack of money. I gave him £20 since which time he's been to the pub (twice), presumably bought at least one packet of cigarettes and some food. Presumably he's still got enough left to get to his mother's but I don't quite see how.

Yesterday, naturally, I asked him if he'd heard anything more from his bank. Then I asked him if he'd contacted his bank. I got some non-committal waffle initially and later was told that he'd tried, but not been able to get through. Standard issue crap and issue avoidance.

If I checked my bank balance and found all my money had disappeared I'd be on the phone straight away and I'd not be off it until I got some answers. I'd suspect either a glitch at their end or fraud and do everything I could to get things ironed out.

His behaviour is not the behaviour of a normal person in the circumstances he claims to be in. Which makes me wonder if he's not actually in the situation he claims to be in. That in turn makes me wonder what the fuck he's up to. Something doesn't add up, and it isn't only his expenditures.

He's always begrudged making any financial contribution to the household budget and struggled with the reality that on our income level there isn't much spare cash for luxuries and other forms of discretionary spending. I'm pretty sure this is his way of transferring some of his financial burden (the groceries) onto me. At the moment that's how things are split. He pays for the groceries while I pay the mortgage, the insurance, the council tax, the water, the sewerage, the gas, the electricity, the telephone and the TV licence.

Sometimes I look at this : no sex, no companionship, no mutual support. I'm truly baffled that two intelligent people could have boxed themselves into such an uncomfortable corner but here we are.



This afternoon we'll play happy families. We're surprisingly good at it.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you have any questions about what not to do in a divorce, read about Jula Jane

     

Post a Comment

<< Home