This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Saturday, June 24, 2006

a couple of things.

Firstly, if you don't hear from me again it's because I'm dead. More specifically it's because today I suffered an industrial injury from which I died.

As previously mentioned I give one day a week to my local community by working at the local Charity (Thrift/Opportunity/Whatever) shop. I stump up at 9:00, assemble the troops, repair the damage wrought by the previous day's shift and spend the remainder of the day (10-4) raking in the pennies while simultaneously sifting the donations and dealing with customer queries.

One of the back room tasks is the tagging of clothes. We use what we call a gun to attach on of those 'dangly tag thingies' to the clothing items to identify the week the garment was put out, and if we're not too busy also the price and even on really slack days the size and other useful info.

The 'gun' uses a needle to pick up a plastic strip which it forces through the tag and the material of the garment. Or...

C. and I wanted to replace the needle on the gun. We stood facing each other, heads bent over the wretched gizmo trying to work out why the gun would stick since the new needle had been put in. And at the critical moment we both lost our grip on the gun which fell prey to that force of nature known as Gravity.

And gravity caused the gun to land needle end down in my abdomen (which was sticking out just enough to get in the way, but that’s another subject). My instinct was to whip the damn thing out. Only later did I realise that (a) it had drawn blood and (b) it bloody well hurt.

It still does hurt.

I have a needle sized hole in my abdomen and a gigantic complex. I'm thinking bacteria and virii. I'm pondering the logistics of me being in hospital with drugs delivered intravenously.


Apart from that I've had a moment's inspiration worthy of recording on the other side. So I'm off there now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home