This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Just a moan about work

I walked in at one to be greeted by M. in a state.

M. is currently in thrall to an intense bout of paranoia. She's convinced that the Walking Hairdo has it in for her (which she probably does, proof if required of the adage that 'just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you).

But before I got to my first task of the day (listening to how Hairdo and the Senior Supervisor had crafted the most awkward of moments to reveal that M. would not be getting the promotion she's come to expect) I had to listen to the aftermath of Sunday.

Sunday, M's son and husband had row which culminated in the son all but making a unilateral declaration of independence. The squat, shaven-haired husband looks like it wouldn't take much to set him off and this afternoon's confidences included the revelation that he's 'had a go at L [daughter]' in the past. M. informed me that she'd told hubby last night 'having a go' at 16 year old son would result in her leaving. Personally and if I were in her shoes I'd throw hubby out, but that's M. all over.

Once all that was off her not inconsiderable chest I got chapter and verse on machinations over the promotion that seems likely never to happen. Hairdo may moan to others that she hasn't a friend in the house but in all likelihood it's M who could least honestly claim friendlessness.

All of that took up a good half hour, after which I was on my own for about the same length of time. I had several people to cover including the supervisor and at some point I gave someone the wrong job. That backfired badly later.

The accounting for the day, as a result of M's domestic difficulties, was way behind schedule. Three and a half hours after I arrived I'd accomplished what might have taken me an hour and I was feeling distinctly less uncharitable towards M who had left me with the backlog to deal with.

Then, in the midst of wondering if I'd get home, and wondering if I really cared, and dealing with trivial emotional blip of learning that D. is to leave us (who will I have to lust after when he's gone?) I got some back chat from one of the staff.

Most days I'd ignore it. If I could have my own way, I'd deal with it as and when necessary. But that's not 'our' way. So I feed it up the line, all the way to the top. I want it official. Some poor cow has to get dragged from her station and up to confront a couple of suits because (a) I'm in a foul mood and (b) the corporate culture stinks.

Fortunately I was able to take her to one side as her shift ended and sort things out (or at least I hope I did). I can't stand the woman. She's vulgar and in my opinion not quite as good at her job as she thinks. But she's a human being and she deserves better treatment than she was able to get this afternoon. Now I'm completely pissed, at myself and at my employer.

Because not so long ago I swore all kinds of oaths that the 'culture' wouldn't get to me. I promised my self that under no circumstances would I fall in and yet I've done precisely that today. If I'd been true to myself and my word I would have hauled her to a quiet corner, looked her in the eye, informed her that I was unhappy (and why), allowed her the opportunity to look me in the eye and defend herself.

We were denied that, and the reason we were denied that was not the system, but me falling in with it.

Buggeration.

One of the unfortunate side effects of my temper tantrum was that the woman who I'd earlier required to 'do the wrong job' was sent back to that 'wrong job'. That led to her trading insults at one of her colleagues across the floor and the colleague screaming back. Then we had her in the office in tears because we'd given her a job we should know that she doesn't like to do and she never moans (except on occasions x, y and z) and if we have an alternative to give 'the wrong job' to again and we give it to her she'll take it up with the union. Altogether a happy ship were we tonight.

And D's leaving. [Sob]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home