This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Thursday, June 15, 2006

World Cup

OK I'm Australian I'm obsessed by sports. All sorts.

Including the World Cup. The only difference between now and four year ago is that because Australia have actually made the finals I can't be quite as dispassionate or objective as might otherwise be.

So here's my reaction to today's matches (without reference to the draw and potential next round opponents)

"Boy are England crap. Can we play you in the next round, please?"

This observation should be retained for posterity. Because England will in all probability go through as group winners, possibly with the maximum 9 points.

They're still crap. Complete crap, which is almost as woeful as Germany, which is slightly more woeful than Brazil.

France, the Netherlands and Sweden have also been disappointing, but that only confirms that European football is not nearly as good as local media would have the rest of the world believe. Only the Spanish, notorious underachievers at World (and European) championships have shone, and their domestic competition is genuinely compelling.

I didn't mention Italy who look fragile and introspective which might have something to do with the financial scandal enveloping leading clubs and in which prominent international players are implicated. Portugal look likely to progress comfortably from their group but almost certainly lack depth - Luis Figo is looking as gorgeous as ever so personally I'd love them to go the distance.

PS apart from South Korea I drew the Netherlands in the sweepstake, so my vested interests in this competition - when my home country and my country of residence are taken into consideration, remain far flung and varied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home