This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Thursday, May 04, 2006

NOW we are feeling better (subtitle The Bush, Part III)

Spring is definitely in the air. Two of my favourite blogs have dealt this week with the vexed subject of The Bush (and they know who they are, or they will do if they make even the slightest effort).

Of course The Bush one was dealing with was not The Bush the other was dealing with. One was the opening stanza of what threatens to be a dissertation, nae a paean to a way of life (The Romance of the Bush, Part I), while the other dealt with Topiary: the delicate issue of keeping things under control, as it were; methods, extent and perils thereof.

While the former made me slightly cross for a nanosecond by making me feel old (and I'm not) I was very, very briefly aggravated by the latter, on the grounds that, um, at the end of the day surely there's something frankly idiotic in this pursuit of hairlessness in the female. Not by the post itself, which was done with the usual brio, but with where my mind ended up. What is the problem? Whyfor the obsession? I've met grown women who believe, with a deep conviction only matched inside the upper echelons of the church on the question of the virgin birth, that underarm hair is unhygienic. Unsightly possibly yes. Unhygienic? Explain, please! I mean, God doesn't often make mistakes, so is underarm hair one of them?

Okay I've wandered slightly from the point (as it were, possibly a couple of feet); we're talking about not ending up with stray short 'n' curlies between the second and third molars or worse still (?) caught at the back of the throat.

The only time and place before today I saw the question of male 'topiary' discussed was on a gay web site debating the merits (or otherwise) of Brokeback Mountain where it cropped up (as it were) in connection with (again, as it were) pointed criticisms of Heath Ledger's equipment as evidenced in the 'river, jumping into' scene. Poor Heath is up in Canada, freezing his whatsits off (or nearly, as captured on celluloid) and all the thanks he gets is a load of champagne queens in the luxury (and warmth) of LA giving him grief for his hair-do, or lack of it.

I thought I'd put this up because I think it proves I'm really getting over the lousy fortnight I've had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home