This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Clothes shopping (for want of something better)

I'm now a bit more forty something than I was they day before yesterday. I was treated to a meal at the newest restaurant in town on the same day I learned that the best restaurant in town has closed due to a 'falling out' between the couple who were running it.

No card, no phone call from mum. I guess I'm not forgiven. The weather at home is getting colder now, below 20 yesterday which must be coming as a total shock.

I'm also off to work this afternoon for a few hours to cover for someone which is OK, then we're into school holidays in the two weeks up to Easter.

I tried on some clothes yesterday, a bikini in the sort of colour that led to it being dubbed my Israeli Army Issue Bikini. I'm not sure that's fair. Lots of armies issue uniform in olive green.

Then there was the pink dress. Lovely colour, great length, awful cut. The top half kind of billowed and bulged where I don't billow and bulge. Uggh.

Then I tried on a skirt but it was horrid, a pair of casual trousers that were way to big. So that was it. Nothing.

I hate clothes shopping!

The cause of all this is the weather which seems finally to have decided to be slightly spring-like. The last few days I've been able to ditch the Thinsulate boots in favour of sandals but what else to wear is a challenge. My daffodils are finally out; it is too warm now for the woolies but too chilly for tees and floaty diaphanous skirts. I've never succeeded with the stuff suitable for in between.

Mind you I've just gazed out the window and it is cloudy out there. Maybe I'll be back to my boots after all.

The offspring sleep on and it is almost 8.00. The plain fact is this house is dominated by people who are not 'morning people' and to some extent at least that suits me just fine. The house is beautifully quiet, I can hear the birds in the garden and there's no TV to compete with the radio.

I just might shift myself to spend a little time in the garden. I haven't mentioned the garden before, I think, beyond remarking from time to time that the approach to our front door is lined with bags of this and bags of that which he's decided to leave outside rather than bring into the house or in some other way put in the appropriate place.

Right now the detritus includes a hiking stick, his camp stove, three (yes three) shopping trollies which he promises to take back on a near daily basis, a pair of old boots, a bottle of weed-killer, a couple of bags of bags of rubbish he's taken out of the house but not yet as far as the tip. That's just the start.

One day I'll have a proper moan. I must be coming down with something because right now I'm not in the mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home