This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Monday, March 27, 2006

Moral core, or the absence thereof

On the radio (Five Live) at the moment they're discussing the current plague of plagiarism infecting UK schools and colleges.

They've had some ex-student called Sophie on who has blithely admitted to cheating and scamming her way through university. She's borrowed, cobbled, cut and paste her way to the piece of paper that will be her passport to a decent life.

Her justification boils down to the simple reality that without recourse to cheating she'd not have graduated and therefore she 'had to do it'. It doesn't seem to have entered her pretty little head for one moment that she simply wasn't good enough. Not Good Enough. She's now been challenged on that point. In reply Sophie has asserted, and I paraphrase only slightly, that she got it therefore she earned it. ffs!

This is on National Radio!

The second saddest thing about this is that the poor child still actually had to (or thought she had to) work jolly hard to accomplish what she did accomplish. The frightening thing is that in all probability she'll breed and raise offspring in her image.

The saddest thing was the presence of a university lecturer (I've since been to the station's web site to find out his name and polytechnic without success) who said nothing about pulling this young lady's degree.

Now we've another on who actually downloaded her course work, paid someone to sit her exams and waltzed off with a first class degree. And she didn't do anything wrong because as she's put it over and over again in her someone histrionic tones "everyone's doing it".

Round and round we go. I nearly drove myself insane because I could not accept that I was being treated as badly as I seemed to be by someone who continued to insist that he loved me. It took me years to convince myself that I was the healthy one and he the one in need of help. Now, after all that hard work it seems after all that he might well be the normal one after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home