This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ooh err...

Another odd day ... absolutely nothing to report on the Fat Bastard front, which is largely because I haven't seen much of him. Was up early to go to work while he and the offspring toddled up to see his family.

Am down at least one member of staff is the first piece of news. Learn about this while buzzing about tidying things up for opening. Am informed by one of the dopey young men who seems to think that I might be almost as interested in offering some home nursing for the invalid as the invalid would be in receiving some home nursing from me.

Get my revenge by send him off to run and errand for me.

El Supremo is allegedly in, but see no sign until he is brought down to unlock the doors, something he should have done on arrival. Disappears up to his cubby-hole. Morning is busy, but interest free.

Get to lunch time and with place still busy have to get permission for some overtime for someone, to hang on for half an hour. Speak with Manager 1 who is taking over from El Supremo (or at least that's the theory). Am granted said permission. Recover from shock and sweet talk one of the young lads to stay on.

The resident drama queen returns from lunch just as alarms go off and discovers that the temperature in two of the freezer chests is rising. Spends half an hour with probe, checking, when goods must be transferred to safe freezers within 20 minutes. What a twat.

Banish him to kiosk, but succumb to his badgerings about need for cover for last half hour because he has more faffing around to do with the freezers at the end of the day.

Still no signs of management so left to my own devices. Am on my own with the short staffing and the floods of customers and enjoying myself.

Then they turn up (both of them; what a surprise to discover that he hasn't gone home) and we get dragged into a conversation about quadratic equations, which are dismissed as useless crap by Manager 1. Well, as we used to say in the playground in another context, the fox smells his own smell.

They've realised they haven't actually dragooned any of the staff at their disposal into actually doing any work, and set out to rectify this. I have my opportunity to discuss Drama Queen's antics and in timely manner he happens to call through looking for the change over. Backed up by management I get to put him back in his box, which is sadly pleasurable experience. Management then sod off.

Next take call from Manager 1's father. Put call out for her over tannoy and get Drama Queen in response advising me that she is busy - and in the background I can hear a bloke yelling "just get out, just get out of the shop" over and over again. Trouble in paradise.

Turns out a banned customer has turned up leglessly drunk; she's underage and has a reputation for being violent when drunk. Later I learn that during the altercation I over hear she's thrown something heavy at El Supremo and kicked him before being brought under control by an off-duty police officer.

Drama Queen had spent the previous twenty minutes cursing me for subjecting him to finishing the day in the kiosk; little had he suspected it would end up giving him something he'll try to dine out on for weeks, if not months.

God help us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home