This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Friday, July 21, 2006

Well I didn't know that

Seems there's a Brisbane, California, USA. In my first year of senior school I had an English teacher who wrote an assessment of a piece of work Id done for her which implied that I'd never do anything better. She also used to say "it's a dull day when you don't learn something new." I'm 42 and I'm still learning new stuff.

Excellent!

This post is dedicated to the memory of Mrs E (dreadful cow, not particularly gifted English teacher, but nevertheless memorable - and that isn't something all of us can claim!)

Postscript: seems Brisbane is a City, though I've not heard of it before (the one in California, yes). Wholly unsurprisingly (and unimaginatively) the city's Sister City is (yes, you guessed it) Brisbane, Queensland. I tried ploughing through the history page here but if there's an explanation of how the city came by its name I must have missed it. Well, small things intrigue and entertain me, and while not intending to cast any aspersions whatsoever on the size (or virility) of Brisbane (California, the QLD one being another matter entirely, being too full of Queenslanders for my taste) the idea of there being a city of Brisbane, California has kept me out of trouble for, oh, nanoseconds. Thank you.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:23 pm, Blogger E! said…

    No discussion of Arthur Annis would be complete without asking the question: Why did he call the town Brisbane? According to Annis's daughter, he named it after the city in Australia. Others believe that he named the town in honor of the popular journalist Arthur Brisbane. Both theories are persuasive. Certainly, both theories have their ardent supporters. And perhaps both contain a certain measure of the truth.

    from: http://www.ci.brisbane.ca.us/html/about/history.asp

     
  • At 11:01 pm, Blogger Enyo said…

    Okay, so now I know ... that nobody else knows (for certain) either. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The answer just adds to the general bizarreness of there being a place in California named after the capital of Australia's Deep North.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home