This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Bird Flu

What the hell happened to Bird Flu? Why aren't millions of unwanted people dropping dead of this deadly disease like 'they' promised?

Postcript: No seriously, what happened?

Only a few months ago we quivered in anticipation of this disease sweeping through huddled European masses. All's gone so quiet I'd forgotten about the Bird Flu News link among my public service announcements. An accidental view of this as seen in published form reminded me late last night and prompted my question.

I suppose it is difficult to think of flu (of any sort) at this time of year in the northern hemisphere, when it is warm and sunny and the preferred preoccupation is the slow, slow progress toward excavating a hole in the garden into which the swimming pool can go.

With no answers forthcoming I've sought out some for myself.



For dispassionate, balanced and current info the World Health Organisation has an information page here.

A completely different angle is available here in a Bloomberg-carried story, dated July 14, about smuggling into the USA of high-risk animal products from known outbreak areas of Asia (China, as it happens).



So it seems this wasn't a hoax and continues to be potentially a huge threat. In the meantime I really, really need to tidy up the side bar.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lets hope the bird flu reamains a "quiet " story

    Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home