This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Follow up on yesterday's tears...

Pool Watch is the light diversion in my day. Work at the moment is complete and utter crap.

I had a 9-5 shift today and turned up, on time, even though I had kept the promise I'd made to M. that I'd go home and work on having a hangover. I certainly felt less than 100% this morning though it was a rather half-arsed hangover.

The reverberations were still careening around the building. The GM and his girlfriend were both in. Neither can stand the woman who reduced me to tears yesterday and both set about doing what they could to make the day a 'fun' day. Flirting and practical jokes were to be the order of the day.

Then another back office colleague sent a text message in notifying us that due to 'stress' related illness she'd not be in today or for the rest of the week and she would not be contactable. We were already down the Maternity Leave and the Head Injury; now we're down Stress as well. That's three down and just two left - M. and me (and we both have hangovers of sorts).

We had no option but to co-opt the services of the woman who'd brought about the stress (in all of us) to provide cover.

While we were still waiting for her to turn up and do the afternoon/evening cover M. admitted that she did tell the GM first thing this morning that I'd all but walked yesterday (which is true) and that she too is at the end of her rope. That message inevitable had inevitably been transmitted to his girlfriend, hence the tacit support that had been flowing.

The blonde bombshell herself turned up towards the end of the morning bearing a birthday present for the woman who has now taken herself off on sick leave related to the stress the gift-bearer herself has induced. The minute she stepped foot in the building she was summoned to the corner office; some time later raised voices were heard. M confided that Blondie's on thin ice herself.

Sometimes you have to laugh (or you'll find yourself in tears).

I waited until 2.00pm when she was supposed to start her shift, to take my lunch break, and then I waited some more. At least the delay meant my afternoon was very, very short though not particularly sweet.

Not long after I got back I had to put one of the less than middle aged though essentially grown up (OK, about my age) women on a check out briefly to cope with the after-school rush. She ID'd someone attempting to buy alcohol. I thought he looked old enough but I wasn't about to undermine her by letting the sale go through. I stood my ground, backing her to the hilt and taking the abuse the increasingly foul-mouthed would-be customer could throw at me. Finally, eventually he walked.

I went off and did a few other bits and pieces and came back to find the blonde sympathising with he abusive customer and giving the ok to him buying alcohol (or anything).

The original operator and I have now escalated the incident via the GM's girlfriend. Expect more fall out.

I might even call personnel and chase up the renewal of my contract. If nothing else this place gives me something to write about when the Fat Bastard's being a Fat Boring Bastard rather than a Fat Cheating/Lying/Lazy Bastard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home