This Is My Affair

Because he's worth it ...

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Beautiful

Tonight we have a quite large and utterly perfect moon*. Round and white and bright and sitting as I type this in the top corner of the window to my left. Big, round, white moon with a hole in it where some damned fool crashed a space vehicle recently.

You'd think we caused quite enough crashes accidentally, both here and beyond the earth's atmosphere - the Open University's Mars exploration vehicle springs to mind, but no, we've got to go and put further crap and other samples of human detritus in space.

And today I read somewhere that a substantial segment of one of Mont Blanc's glaciers has been turned yellow by the volume of climber urine it has been required to absorb (or be coated in, whatever, I'm not interested in the grisly details).

These two fine examples of humanity's regard for the space around and about it fit neatly with the quite perfect contempt the legions of fools who annually ascend Mt Everest display for the mountain they invade and .... but I'm already boring myself and there are so many more examples I could cite.

Good night.

*though as Yorkshire Pudding has pointed out it was also partially eclipsed - from shortly after sunset to 22:00 - I missed it

1 Comments:

  • At 11:52 pm, Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said…

    I hate to dishevel your theorising but tonight there was a lunar eclipse. My wife phoned me and said I had to get out to see it so I went right up the garden, scanned the heavens but saw nothing. The moon must have been behind the houses. I even missed key moments in "EastEnders" to do this - Aw! Honey and Billy's baby has Down's Syndrome

     

Post a Comment

<< Home